> Benefits of silk
Aside from the luxurious softness and lustrous sheen, there are several benefits of silk that other fabrics, whether natural or man-made, simply cannot match when producing garments for sufferers of skin conditions.
• Silk is a natural protein, and has been used as a non-irritant thread for many years for surgical procedures. DreamSkin® Health silk has been further enhanced by the complete removal of the silk glue - serecin - making it ideal for skin irritated by atopic conditions.
• An all-climate fabric, silk is warm and cozy in winter and comfortably cool when temperatures rise. Its natural structure gives silk this ability to cool and warm simultaneously.
• Silk is highly absorbent: it can absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture without feeling damp. Silk will absorb perspiration while letting your skin breathe.
• In spite of its delicate appearance, silk is relatively robust. Its smooth surface resists soil and odours well. Silk is wrinkle and tear resistant, and dries quickly.
• While silk abrasion resistance is moderate, it is the strongest natural fibre and, surprisingly, it easily competes with steel yarn in tensile strength.